A random babbling on creative spirits-

Random babbling on the creative spirit~painting, sewing, baking, boys, an irresistable God and the next 200 feet~

Saturday, March 6, 2010

i don't make pretty bread...

but oh my goodness I make yummy bread!

This is a revamped recipe from my grandmother, Nonny's, recipe file. It always sounded good to me and when my sister and I rifled through her typewriter written 3x5 cards I kept this one.
My modifications make it so much better :) and healthier of course!

I encourage you to try this; or try any bread recipe if you haven't made bread before. Homemade bread is very satisfying to make and oh so tasty to eat!
Cottage Cheese Dill Bread
1 1/2 t dry yeast
1 T honey
1/4 c warm water + more as needed
2-3 c whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, or whole wheat bread flour
1 t salt
1 c cottage cheese (I use nonfat)
1/4 c reconstituted ( I like them this way!) onion flakes (add warm water to just cover the flakes and let sit until it absorbs)
1 t minced chives ( I like this addition-not necessary though)
2 t dill seeds
1 T dill weed or 1 t fresh minced dill

In a large mixing bowl pour warm water over honey and yeast; stir to dissolve. Allow to sit for 10 minutes or so in order to activate the yeast. Add 2 c flour, salt and 1/4 c tap water and blend until encorporated. Add more flour as needed to create a stiff dough. I knead within the bowl, but it can be turned out onto a floured surface if you prefer. Knead until a soft,elastic ball is created. Cover with a slightly damp dish towel and sit in a warm place to rise over night.
In the morning the dough should be at least doubled in size. Punch down, add cheese, onions, dill and chives. Knead to encorporate and add more flour to maintain a consistent, elastic dough.
Place in a loaf or casserole pan that has been sprayed with olive oil, cover and allow to rise for 1-4 hours; loaf will double in size again.
15 minutes before baking, turn over to 375 degrees and allow to fully preheat. Place loaf in lower third of oven and bake for 35 minutes. Check for color and cover if necessary. Bake another 15 minutes. Turn onto cooling rack and dig in :)) in love. trish.

No comments:

Post a Comment