A random babbling on creative spirits-

Random babbling on the creative spirit~painting, sewing, baking, boys, an irresistable God and the next 200 feet~

Saturday, August 29, 2009

i bake for people

Cookies for the boys. Dinner for my over worked girlfriend. Lunch for a long distance friend. Care packages for my miles away son. My favorite time is in the early morning (middle of the night for some!) when the birds are still slumbering, my boys are curled under covers and the kitchen holds nothing but potential.
I do it for those on the receiving end of course, but even more so for myself. I admit it; it's a completely selfish endeavor~
Satisfaction comes on two levels: I get to spend time in the kitchen-creating, experimenting, playing and thinking. Being here is as much fun as splashing in the hot wax in the studio! There is something so very yummy in putting ingredients together and coming away with a finished, tasty delight!
I also get the personal jazz of sharing with the people I care about in my life-letting them know, in this small, tasty way, that I am thinking of them. Great pleasure comes in hearing your child's first stirring include an 'mmmmm mom-what is that smell!'. In packaging up the latest batch of scones and dropping them inside a neighbors screen door. In receiving a text 'thank you!' from a friend eating your paella with a glass of red on her back porch.
I bake for people. in love. trish.
Milk Chocolate Florentine Cookies
1/2 c butter (I've even used 1/4 c olive oil and 1/4 c silken tofu-don't tell the guys!)
2 c oats
2/3 c sugar (I use honey or sucanat)
2/3 c flour
1/4 c corn syrup (dark is yummier)
1/4 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 c chocolate chips (melted)
Melt the butter in the microwave and cool slightly. Add oats, sugar, flour, corn syrup, milk and vanilla-mix well. Drop spoonfuls onto foil-lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Flatten a bit with spoon or spatula.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Cool completely before removing from foil.

Spread a thin layer of chocolate onto the flat side of half of the cookies. Place another on top, creating a sandwich. Allow to cool or refrigerate to speed this along! Eat them people!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment